Advertisement

Help
You are here: Rediff Home » India » News » Photos
Search:  Rediff.com The Web
  Email this Page  |   Write to us

Bhutto escapes bid on life

October 20, 2007
Merely hours after she returned home after eight years in exile, a suicide bomber targeted former Pakistan premier Benazir Bhutto's motorcade, killing 165 people and injuring scores more.

Bhutto received a warning just half an hour before the s devastating attack that a suicide bomber would target the truck in which she was traveling. The Times newspaper of London has reported.

The motorcade was making its way through thousands of supporters who welcomed Bhutto.

Quoting Bhutto's interview to a French magazine, the report said many of those killed were young policemen who tried to block the path of the suicide bomber after a warning was received by police and passed on to her entourage by the intelligence services.

Bhutto also accused high-ranking members in Pakistan's intelligence services were behind the attack. She said Islamic militants could not mount such a sophisticated attack "from a mountain cave".

Other reports also quoted the police as saying that they had found the severed head of the bomber, who had been carrying some 20kg of explosives. The Interior Ministry said that the first blast had been caused by a hand grenade.

Image: The scene in Karachi immediately after the suicide attack.
Photograph: Aamir Qureshi/AFP/Getty Images

Also See:
Images: Blasts targetting Bhutto claim 165 lives
Images : Benazir Bhutto returns to Pakistan
Benazir Bhutto lands in Pakistan
Three million received Bhutto on return in 1986
Homecoming for Bhutto amid fanfare, security
Next

© 2014 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.Disclaimer | Feedback